Thursday, March 24, 2016

Script, Sound, Score!

Hello again!

Nick and I are still in the process of storyboarding, and I will post the images as soon as we finish. We have revised, redone, and replaced the storyboards several times and are working towards making them just right, as the majority of our film relies on these boards. As our piece is visually driven with just a voice over and no diegetic dialogue, we want to make sure our storyboards are exactly how we we envision the piece, still with the understanding that we may change something here or there once we begin filming and really dive into the visuals. With this being said, we are going to wait a few more days to post the storyboards. So, today I will be talking about everything you are going to hear in our film. This includes the voice over, foley sounds, and musical score.

In terms of the voice over, we plan to have an older woman record the lines, as if she is reminiscing on her unfortunate past. In addition, we are going to experiment with recording our young actress speaking the lines and weaving the two voices together towards the end of the voice over. We are not certain if this is going to work exactly how we are envisioning it, but it is certainly worth a try! I think this effect would be extremely powerful and poignant, and I am just hoping that it will work!

As a composer, I record a lot of my original music and have the proper equipment to do so. With this being said, we will be recording the voice over with my PreSonus AudioBox Recording Interface. This will give the piece an overall professional quality that will appear polished and refined. I will also be recording all of the instruments in my musical score using this interface to ensure a sense of continuity and a pleasing, formalized soundscape.

As of now, I do not think we will need to produce any foley sounds, as the piece will be driven by the voice over and music. However, if we feel as though we would be better suited with adding additional sounds in post-production, we will be certain to do so.

In terms of the musical score, I have written down more ideas and will be recording them soon to post on this blog. I am excited to record a few bits and pieces to share with you, but I will not begin the full recording process with all of the instruments until we finish recording and editing the film. Synchronization is a key component of film scoring, and I love being able to watch the film as I record the music. With this visual aid, I am able to push and pull tempos based on the emotions conveyed in the scene, something that is powerful and gives the production a higher level of professionalism.

I have been incredibly inspired by the film composer Hans Zimmer and would like to share this video to help in explaining the process behind film composing. Beginning at the time 1:20 in the video, Zimmer is seen conducting his music while watching the film's image projected on a large screen. This is exactly what I will do when recording the music for this film.


While Zimmer has the luxury of having a 100+ piece orchestra available to him (I WISH), I will be recording each individual instrument myself and then layering and editing the tracks using Pro Tools and Logic Pro X. Throughout the video, Zimmer also discusses the emotion he can bring forth in his scores, something I strive to do with this film project.

Alright, I believe that is all for today! Thanks for reading; I look forward to sharing the next steps with you!



No comments:

Post a Comment